Thursday, November 15, 2018

Bulgaria Sound Specific/ Field Recordings 2018

    Over the years I have been have been influenced by various movements in the field of musical art that dared to be quiet, practiced concentrated listening and which coincided with my interest in field recording, resonance of sound locations, environmentalism, acoustic ecology, the challenge to anthopocentrics, pantheism, animism and in most cases I managed to probably never be silent enough for the movers and shakers of the movements. This is piece is perhaps no exception really but I feel it's quiet enough not to "wake the baby", as we say.  Night in a Bulgarian Garden, Belovo, acoustic guitar and the sounding darkness environment ;) 

https://jeffgburekprojects.bandcamp.com/track/night-in-a-bulgarian-garden-belovo-moments-1-2


   Once upon a time, I used to enjoy loud, raucous, ritualist music and seek the raunchiest. Now I only like loud music when I am cutting loose myself, a kind of vigorous, purgative spilling of guts to ward off the evil eye or eyes of the times. Times have changed, yes, but my ideas about the liberating forces of music haven't shifted that much: the loudest music we can hear these days is often not a scream against power but the manifestation of power itself, since loudness is not allowed except in hallowed halls funded by corporations, a far cry from the free jazz and punk I heard in the 70's. Quiet music is almost now entirely out of fashion again but I pursue my own path in the interests of tranquility and trans-transformation. This track (above link) is composed of two "sittings" -- in a very remote mountain village in Bulgaria-- separated only by a few seconds of pause on the recorder which was enough punctuation for me to render the moment into 2 movements. All tracks on the "Bulgaria Sound Specific" album are now free for download/ pay as you wish, keeping in line with an idea new thrown out to me by a friend, namely to offer my entire digital back catalogue as "name your price." (CD and cassettes and other merch not part of that deal of course). The following link leads you to a remote village in Rhodope Mountains where we sat out the rains in an outdoor kitchen made of stone overlooking summer-lush forest swooning with mushroom odors and cooked up a shower with logs left over from the relatively mild winter.

 https://jeffgburekprojects.bandcamp.com/track/rhodope-mountains-rustic-kitchen-after-heavy-rain-shortly-resuming




 https://jeffgburekprojects.bandcamp.com/track/rhodope-mountains-rustic-kitchen-after-heavy-rain-shortly-resuming





No comments: