Monday, May 30, 2022

End the global fossil fuel addiction that fuels Every War Machine. An article via the Nation by Svitlana Romanko

Only yesterday I remarked that if we can think of Putin's invasion as paradoxically strengthening NATO then we might say that Putin is bringin a turn for the Green in global politics, help us emerge from the fossil fuel sleep. Before I reddened in the cheek with my naivete, I pinched myself, as if to say, weirder things have happened. All things bring about their opposites. That is, if all things remain recognizable as what they are to us. I'm not much inclined for metaphysics in thought process any longer. I do pay attention to the Mercury in rettograde. 

I don't know how ya'll are feeling about gun violence, wars declared, undeclared, tension but...

Maybe it's time to legislate a full stop to the manufacture of destruction. Here's an argument that edges toward saying the conflict in Ukraine could trigger a green re-evaluation, if not a revolution.
 

“End the global fossil fuel addiction that fuels Putin’s war machine.”

    "The Russian invasion of our country is funded and fueled by the coal, oil, and gas industries that also drive the climate crisis. The import of all fossil fuels from Russia must be banned, as must any investment in Russia. This is urgent and necessary, to stop the existential threat to my nation. But it is just the beginning. We need to phase out all fossil fuels globally if we are to stop the existential threat to our planet.

     As a Ukrainian, it is very difficult for me that the planet-saving transition to clean energy might come, finally, at a cost that has been paid by my compatriots with their lives and the devastation of our country. But perhaps because I live on the front line, I see clearly that this is a decisive point in modern history. We can make the wrong turn back to fossil-fueled colonialism. Or we can properly start the green transition. The fight for Ukraine’s freedom can lead us to what science has told us we must do: stop burning coal, oil, and gas right now."

    Please read the full article here:

  https://www.thenation.com/article/environment/ukraine-war-climate-fossil-fuel/?utm_source=Sailthru&fbclid=IwAR2_c9NaVDLG1oMpBoGSbPbQzWmV7o0qK1m-8e7_sTF7QagVEd5tfbyFkcw

  And listen to some music by another Ukrainian Svitlana Niaino   

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8fDpQVCZDc


 

 

 

No comments: